TWEETING ON TWITTER…. Do’s and Don’ts & some other interesting stuff….
Do you have a Twitter account… And are you using it correctly? A REALTOR® once told me that using Social Media incorrectly is like entering a crowded cocktail party, standing on a chair and shouting “Look at my listings, want to buy a condo? Hey everyone, seriously, look at my new listing!” then getting down again. Everyone will turn and look at you, probably roll their eyes and then go back to their conversations, ignoring what-ever it was you said. Wouldn’t you mostly likely go strike up a conversation with someone? Same with Twitter!
So what do you do and NOT do to keep relevant?
• Add pictures - or videos to your tweets to increase interaction with your followers
• Add a Comment – when tweeting a link – let people know why you think this is a great article.
• Re-tweet–other peoples content with your own comments
• Re-tweet - your own content throughout the day. Twitter is fast! So something you post at 8 am will be missed by someone looking at 8 pm.
• Get the Analytics – find out how your tweets are performing - are people listening to you? Facebook also offers this. Find out what is working – otherwise why are you doing it?
• Shout how great you are - Promote others, community events, local interest items. If you are a REALTOR do NOT just post your listings! That is a no-no!
• Spam – don’t turn your tweets into spam with constant promotion of your business. Again, ha ha, if you are a REALTOR do NOT just post listings and Real Estate stuff.
• Ignore Messages – make sure you respond when you are mentioned – interact! This is key, if you are auto feeding twitter and ignoring comments, shares and interactions, why are you doing it?
• Auto-reply – please, please turn it off!!! – people don’t want to get auto-messages. Have you EVER responded to one? Me either!
• Connect your Facebook to Twitter – content and context gets lost – If you are going to use Twitter then Tweet! If you have some sort of auto post, no problem but you can’t JUST rely on that!
• Create a list – who do you want to connect with? Use Twitter Lists to help create a list
• Gather Content - look for relevant and local content to connect with for your business
• Local Content – Use Twitter Advanced Search to find local content for your area
And some other interesting stuff….
• @ - everyone’s name (AKA handle) starts with the @ symbol. Starting a tweet with @TwitterJoe will only be seen by them & their followers. If a handle is in the body of the tweet it’s open to everyone
• # - hashtag – A hashtag is simply a way for people to search for tweets that have a common topic. For example, if you type #Gravity (or #gravity or #GraVItY, because it’s not case-sensitive) into the Search Twitter box at the top of any Twitter page and hit Enter, you’ll get a list of tweets related to the movie. So it I say that movie and wanted to tweet about it I might say “ Love the movie #Gravity when @SandraBullock floated in space.
• DM – Direct Message – this is a private twitter message that is not public and you must both follow each other.
TIP TO SEE HOW POPULAR YOU ARE. :-)
1. Log on to Twitter
2. Go to this site
3. Check out how you are doing and what is popular in your realm!
Did you know that I offer training on Social Media and posting packages? Contact me to find out more!